First Maternal Mental Health Alliance Conference and Awards
The Maternal Mental Health Alliance hosted its first conference on September 13th on the topic of Intergenerational Mental Health – Keeping parents and babies in mind in perinatal mental health work.
Over 250 practitioners, service users and academics gathered to discuss how a whole-family approach can break the intergenerational cycle of mental health problems.
The conference highlighted ground-breaking academic research, showcased innovative practice, and told the stories of perinatal mental health service users across the UK.
Speakers included international experts, including:
- Susie Orbach, Psychotherapist and author
- Mark Hanson, Professor of Cardiovascular Science, University of Southampton
- Shiela Redfern, Consultant Clinical Psychologist and Head of Clinical Services, Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families
- Louise Howard, Head of Women’s Mental Health, King’s College London & Consultant Perinatal Psychiatrist
- Claudia Buss, Professor of Medical Psychology, Charité University Medicine Berlin
- Carmine Pariante, Professor of Biological Psychiatry, King’s College London & Consultant Perinatal Psychiatrist
Presentations from the day can be found here.
Following the conference, the Alliance held its first Awards in perinatal mental health. They recognised best practice and achievement in the categories of perinatal mental health education and training, perinatal mental health awareness raising, peer support and transgenerational service.
The winners were presented with their awards by acclaimed author, journalist and psychotherapist Susie Orbach.
There were almost 100 nominations from public, private and charity sectors highlighting creative and innovative approaches to perinatal mental health.
The winners were:
Emma Cadywould Award for Perinatal Mental Health Education and Training 2017
Winner: International Training School for Infancy and Early Years
Highly Commended: Institute of Health Visiting Perinatal and Infant Mental Health Champion Training Programme
Anti-Stigma Award for Perinatal Mental Health Awareness Raising 2017
Winner: Maternal Mental Health Scotland, Change Agents
Highly Commended: Making Life Better, 2Gether NHS Foundation Trust
Perinatal Peer Support Award 2017
Winner: Action on Postpartum Psychosis
Highly Commended: Parents in Mind, National Childbirth Trust
Big Lottery Transgenerational Service Award 2017
Winner: Bluebell Care Trust
Highly Commended: ReConnect, Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust